Mission San Luis Rey de Francia

From My Class Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search


Mission San Luis Rey (also known as Mission San Luis Rey de Francia) was named after St. Louis IX, King of France. Father Fermin Francisco Lasuen established it on June 13th, 1798. It’s the 18th out of the 21 missions. Located in a fertile valley midway between the San Diego and San Juan Capistrano missions, it is called the King of the Missions. Mission San Luis Rey is located in 4250 Mission Avenue Oceanside, CA 92057. The natives at Mission San Luis Rey de Francia did a lot of work. They were the Luiseno Indians. These natives farmed, weaved baskets, helped make leather, and cooked food. They planted crops of wheat, oats, barley, potatoes, beans, and corn. They made the adobe bricks used to build the mission and raised thousands of livestock including 27000 heads of cattle, 26000 sheep, and thousands of horses. Mission San Luis Rey Indians grew beans, peas, squash, pumpkins, melons, red peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and herbs in a vegetable garden. Indians weeded and hoed the gardens. Out in the fields, Indians planted wheat and corn. They planted corn by dropping several seeds into a hole. Then, they used their feet to push the soil over the seeds. When the corn was harvested, most of it was used to make tortillas. Mission San Luis Rey also had an orchard with oranges, lemons, figs, pears, apricots, peaches, apples, plums, walnuts, and almonds. Many of the problems at Mission San Luis Rey happened after the secularization. Several Indians didn’t want to live or work at the mission because a padre named Fray Peyri treated them badly. Soldiers used it as a fort. Many livestock and goods were stolen and the crops died when the soldiers were there. These problems were very severe.

(Helen January 14,2010)

Mission San Luis Rey was established on June 13, 1798 near Oceanside, California. It was located on a hill on a native village. The address of the mission was 4050 Mission Avenue Oceanside, California 92057. This mission was the 18th mission founded by Father Fermin Francisco de Lausen. People built this mission for it to be the king of the other missions. It was a huge and grand mission.


Hundreds of years ago, Luiseno Indians had come and lived in Mission San Luis Rey. It was a wonderful place to live in. The mission covered over six acres and 2,000 feet wide. It contained kitchens, priests’ bedrooms, dining rooms, a church, and a garden. Millions of livestock were raised at Mission San Luis Rey such as sheep and cattle. Crops such as wheat, barley, corn, and beans were grown in the garden. Aqueducts were used to transfer water to the mission while other people get water from the San Luis Rey River. Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is just filled with extraordinary things!


Secularization begun shortly before the Mexico war. Mission San Luis Rey was abandoned for 30 years! The mission lied in ruins when Governor Pio Pico of Mexico decided to sell it. But what Father Joseph O’Keefe wanted was different. He wanted to restore this big mission in 1931. Throughout the year, further improvements were added to Mission San Luis Rey. Finally, this mission finished restoration after the Mexican War.


Mission San Luis Rey de Francia shared much great history. It is a mission where interesting events happen. After the mission was restored, it was more beautiful than ever.

(Johnny February 4,2010)

Personal tools